Saturday, January 5, 2013

a new year

resolutions for me look the same every. year.
study the scriptures more, make it to the gym, cook. in general. and be a better mother/wife.
way too general. way too vague. way too unachievable.
maybe this year I just won't resolute to do anything.
*cringe*
me? the notorious list maker? so much so, that I sometimes color coordinate my lists according to priority... (a major problem, I know). me? NOT make a list!?
I just can't not do it.
so I'll take a different approach...
my resolution:
BE HAPPIER.
there was a time when that would have been a no brainer. I was actually told once that I must be fake, because no one could really be that happy all the time.
pretty sure no one would say that now. Not that I am unhappy. I'm not! I love my life, but do my outward actions mimic what is in my heart? (don't answer. the question is rhetorical.)
a few small goals to help me be happier...
* let it be. -- this will for sure be the hardest thing. a perfectionist at heart, can not just let it be. I  should know. so, I am going to consciously do my very best to step back, and not make things perfect. who knows? Maybe I will find joy in mediocrity. (that sounded bad. I didn't mean for it to...)
* Jean Valjean my life. --seen Les Miserables? it has changed my life. I love the scene where the bishop forgives Valjean and says "I have saved your soul for God."
right now, I think I live my life for myself. I think it would help my happiness tremendously if I turned that over to the Lord.
* expect nothing in return. --dishes, cooking, cleaning, you name it. serve, and do not keep score.
* make time for me. --not enough to be selfish, but just enough to rejuvenate. allow myself to read, go to yoga, head to brunch, get a babysitter, and not feel guilty about it.
*appreciate more, want less. --in the social media, pinterest, grass is greener society we live in, I am way too involved. a step back would do me good. and a little space would allow me to be grateful for my own, and not jealous of what others have.

2013, this will be the year I discover myself and embrace happiness!



2 comments:

  1. I also need to work on everything you just said. We are too much alike my friend. Except I don't color code my lists ;) thanks for sharing this post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. just caught up on all of your posts :) hope our talk helped and that this year is a happy one! love you!

    ReplyDelete