Thursday, October 28, 2010

To Do

As I was contemplating the day ahead and making out my trusty "To Do" list this morning,
it occurred to me... Am I planning my life away? (More like listing, but you get the point)
The thought wouldn't leave me alone.

So I thought of people I know who also make a lot of plans.
My best friend, Brecca, is one of them.

She has plans every night of the week! She is always looking into fun things and events coming up and planning to attend or experience them. What a life huh? No laziness whatsoever involved... I envy it.

A few months ago she came to me and said that planning was becoming too overwhelming for her husband who wanted an occasional quiet (unplanned) night at home... but she couldn't do it.
She said that lack of planning made her feel as though she is wasting her life.
huh. I had never thought of it that way.
I helped her come up with a solution to being able to compromise, all the while I was thinking
Hey, I need to do more! That's my problem.
So, this fall I set out to plan more, do more with my time, and really, just not be lazy and sit at home.
Surprisingly, it was easy! It was fun! We did so many fun fall things that I love, and I didn't miss out on anything, or have the thought of "why didn't I do that?"
On a separate, but somehow totally related note, have you ever heard the phrase "Not to put feathers in their hat"-- before a compliment is given?
I have. And fore some reason, it has always bothered me a bit.
Why wouldn't you want to put feathers in someone's hat?
It would give credit where credit is due.
I think we should all have lovely hats full of feathers, so to speak.
So, I am going to put a feather in her hat...Brecca's fresh outlook on life has directly inspired me to do more, experience more, and plan.

However, I really really like my "To do" lists...
Maybe I will just try to relax them a bit. Not color code them by priority?
I think that's a start :)

6 comments:

  1. life is such a struggle to get all balanced! I love my nights at home but I always feel like I need to plan something during the day for mostly my kids but then when do I get everything else done?? There are just not enough hours in the day I've decided.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I planned a bit too much this week and lost an entire day in the process. Not sure how that happened, but just a warning...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally love this post April. At this point in my life I really needed it. Thanks I totally have a hard time with planning things out and making thing around here fun. I always feel like a I always so overwhelmed with everything else. And I need to make sure and spend time doing what is most important.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You and Brecca are so funny:) and haven't changed much, hehe....you are so good at being all put together & organized. (that's envy worth to many!!)
    But your post was great comparing attitudes & perspective, I guess it's all about finding a good balance!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are both super energetic and SO organized--and I'm glad you had so much fun this fall and didn't miss out on anything.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love that you have soo much energy and enthusiasm! it's inspiring for sure!! however, my motto currently is 'relax! stay calm and mellow. meditate. just be'. maybe in the next month or so i'll have lots to do and 'to do' lists everywhere!
    :)
    xo

    ReplyDelete