Thursday, July 15, 2010

Proud to be an American


I LOVE the 4th of July.
So many fun memories of being in parades, family BBQs, gettin' all gussied up for the fireworks...ahh, good times.
Every year we head up to Idaho Falls for this festive occasion. We wake up to have Pegs Nels (my mom) lovingly give us 20 breakfast options, then usually (depending on the ages of small children) head to the parade... this year we opted out of that one because Camden was quite the cranky little thing due to some serious teething.
After the parade, we BBQ to our little hearts' content, then enjoy a lazy afternoon of running around with the kids, and finally end up socializing at the river in our usual location with 150,000 other people. At 10:00 pm, the *best fireworks show this side of the Mississippi* begins, and afterword we make a beeline for our car and head home to eat more dessert and lay our sunburnt faces to rest atop our pillows.

Here are a few (and by few, I mean a lot) snapshots from this year's celebration:


All the kids in their festive apparel (thanks to Grandma)

The best part of the fireworks this year was watching Camden's reactions--He absolutely loved them! He kept oohing and ahhing, eyes wide as can be... cutest thing ever.

There is just something about celebrating our country and freedom that makes me feel extremely blessed. If you know me well at all, you know that I cry at the drop of a pin, but I do find myself getting teary eyed at a sporting event when the national anthem is played. Thinking about the sacrifice so many made for this nation fills me with such pride and gratitude.

I love this country and I am so glad we have a day to celebrate what our nation has been through to be where we are. God Bless America.

3 comments:

  1. CUTE! I love those little pictures of Camden, he's such a cutie!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just saw all the updates and I have a couple things to say....
    1. I"m jealous of your California trip. I want to go to Disneyland :(
    2. I totally agree with needing a good wake up routine. usually I just plop kinsley in bed with me and let her roam around while I lay there in a daze.
    3. Love Camden's pictures of looking at the fireworks. My daughter who never sleeps fell asleep watching them in the first couple minutes. Go figure.
    4. How are you make to being so tiny? I still need to lose some baby weight!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the pictures of Camden watching the fireworks so CUTE!

    ReplyDelete