Thursday, October 4, 2012

thoughts

This week I've thought a lot. Usually, any spare moment of my alone time consists of day to day thoughts... To- do lists, plans, reminders, that sort of thing. This week, I was consumed with thoughts of empathy, sadness, wonder and love. You could argue they are more feelings than thoughts, but feelings result in tears, and tears are something I have a hard time turning off, so I try to just think :)
A family member passed away unexpectedly-- and it really did send a jolt of awareness through me. I suddenly remembered the sweet memories I had of her. The baby blanket she made for Camden and brought to my house, I wasn't home, so she left it at the door. I really wished I would have been home. Or how after I had Turner, she spent an entire bridal shower holding him. I also remembered the last funerals I attended. That terribly hard time for my family. I remembered that death is harder for those that are still on earth.

I have decided that the older you get, the harder things are. You've experienced more. You are no longer naive or unaware. When someone loses a child, before you've had children, you think "man, that's hard." Then suddenly you become a parent and think "that's impossible." You think of your own life when you hear of other's trials.
The conclusion I came to is this: life is hard, but wonderful. And if you find yourself dwelling on the hard stuff, you'll never see how wonderful it really is.
I know we need to experience sadness to feel joy, hurt to feel love, etc. but more often than not, I think, really? Do I have to?
Yes. So I can really appreciate how she always hugged me hello. So I can sweetly remember her service and love. So I'll make that extra effort to attend that baby shower, wedding, family reunion.
I guess there is just one more person up there, cheering us on, right?

3 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry for your loss April. Losing a loved one is horrible. Thank you for sharing your insights as I need reminders of this often! I'm always stuck on worrying and stressing about life but really I need to stop focusing on the what if situations or the things I just can't control... Life really is wonderful and we are very blessed to be living and to be experiencing beautiful and wonderful things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry to hear of the loss in your family. I'll keep you in my prayers. Very true about life. Love you, Lirpa.

    ReplyDelete