Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Aloha!

When my sister decided to pick up and move across an ocean, I wasn't incredibly excited.


Then, I realized that Maui would be the perfect place to visit, and my excitement grew...


Turns out tickets to Maui aren't cheap.


(this dampened my ever excited spirits)


But, for Valentine's day/ my birthday/ all other holiday's for forever, Ryan surprised me with a ticket to Maui! (if you ever need to go, head over to hawaiianair.com--we got round trip tickets for less than $400) A trip to Maui with no husband, and no baby?!


Camden spent the week with my mom-- and Ryan stayed at home


I had never been to Maui, or really flown alone, so this was a first.


And it was awesome.




Ronda and Doug welcomed their first baby in December-- and I was the first sibling to meet this little butter ball


Devan Phoenix is just about the cutest kid ever! He is quite the chunker, and I can say (after some bribing) that I am officially the favorite Aunt...maybe that's because I am the only one who has seen him
I still had quite a bit of jet lag, so I never really slept in. Plus, why sleep in when you are in paradise? Every morning, Doug would make yummy oatmeal and serve up warm drinks (them coffee, me mango passionfruit herbal tea) of which I am not addicted! I love the idea of starting the day with a cup of something warm and inviting...it sort of eases you into things.
Devan is such a good natured, smiley little guy. I couldn't get enough of his perfect lips and thigh rolls! Unfortunately, he's not too fond of car rides...it took me back to about a year ago-- maybe it's a son-of-a-nelson-daughter-thing.


I flew in late Wednesday night, (my welcome complete with flower lei and "Aloha!" courtesy of Doug) so Thursday we began our adventures!


First stop, cute little oceanside town... shops, locals, gelatto, lunch (mahi mahi burger)



and the beach. Love. at. first. sight.
It gets dark really early in Maui (who knew?), so we spent the majority of our evenings listening to the rain on the roof of Ronda and Doug's house, watching Johnny Depp movies, burning, uh baking cookies, and talking.
Friday: Pretty much all I wanted was to enjoy my time at the beach!
Ronda and Doug live about 25 miles from the ocean, so everyday we got to take these beautiful scenic drives...Beach Baby!
We went to the Charlie Young beach-- it was a little overcast, but not bad, so we unpacked and settled in with our umbrella and blankets. 30 minutes later, it started downpouring-- most people got up and ran to their cars, but we had Devan, and didn't want to soak him, so we huddled under our umbrella, hoping it would soon pass. It did. 10 minutes of downpour in exchange for a beautiful, sunny afternoon at a pretty deserted beach? I'll take it!
After the beach, we ate at the most authentic Hawaiian, hole-in-the-wall restaurant.
I had chicken Katsu-- delicious.
Saturday: we had brunch at a lovely little cafe.











the eggs beni is currently making my mouth water.






Thanks to it being the weekend, Doug was able to join us!


After brunch we stopped by the swap meet...picked up a few souvenirs, and headed for...where else? The beach!
I'm sensing a pattern here. Food. Beach. Sleep. Food. Beach. Sleep.


I really love laying on the beach, feeling the sun, and hearing the waves crash.


It was nice to have absolutely no responsibility...although I did cry a few times after hearing Camden say "mama" on the phone.


I had my first sushi from a conveyer belt.


Ronda and Doug are masters of Sushi, so I got to expand my horizons and enjoy seaweed salad.


Note to self: desserts at a sushi restaurant are not worth the money


Devan just hung out and waited patiently as we scarfed.
Sunday: One of Ronda's good friends had a baby shower, so we stopped by.


I got to meet a lot of her and Doug's friends-- it was fun!




One thing that I like about a Hawaiin shower, is that the expectant mama is totally pampered!


She sits in a super comfy chair while people volunteer to rub her feet, give a pedicure, paint her nails, brush and braid her hair, bring her food-- total pampering! And as a guest, you come to her to give congratulations! Talk about a nice shower...maybe I'll keep that in mind :)


















Sunday evening found us at the beach with a beautiful sunset.
They have a "beach crew" that gathers at the beach Sunday evenings for food and sand volleyball.


I'm not the best volleyball player, but I must have done something right, because they invited me to return...I told them I'll gladly play next time I visit, or they come to Utah.


After that, I was known as "utah"...which was a total switch, because in Utah, I get teased for being from Idaho--




I had such a nice, relaxing time. Nowhere pressing to be. Just got to enjoy Maui, and spend time with Ronda, Doug and Devan. A much needed change of pace from the busy hustle and bustle of everyday life :)





if Ronda and Doug want to stay in Maui, they can't keep me from visiting again!

5 comments:

  1. uh...not the most flattering photos-of me! i look like a freakin oompa loompa in the one!
    so glad you came! we all miss you lots!
    aloha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Sounds like a dream vacay!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love all the pics- i want hawaii!! and devan is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun trip! Looks awesome, I want the beach so bad right now! You look cute as always and your nephew is a cute chunk :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. SO FUN!!! After this post I feel like I need Hawaii -- that is the perfect cycle for vacations -- beach, eat, sleep, repeat. So jealous you got to go!

    ReplyDelete